Monday, September 21, 2009

Welcome to my Coupon Blog

Many of you have asked me to help you with saving money on your groceries through using coupons. I was sporadically posting things to my personal blog, but decided it was time to start a separate blog for just coupons/money saving tips.

I have felt that God was calling me to share this information with others. My friend down the road, Kelly, taught me and was my inspiration (and still is the Coupon Queen) for saving money. She regularly sends me tips (as do I her) on how to use our coupons to save the most money. I want to share that information with others.

Times are hard now. Many of you reading know that my husband was just laid off from his job of 11 years. I am thankful that God was preparing us for this months ahead by teaching me how to save A LOT of money on our groceries. I regularly spent $100-$125 a week to feed our (then) family of three. Then we added Ellie and diapers and baby food and such and it went up quite a bit.

This month, so far, I have spent $186 for $667 worth of groceries, a 71% savings. We typically have our regular refrigerator full, a second refrigerator partially full and a freezer that is pretty full. Our cabinets are about to explode, but when things are FREE (yes, free), I can't pass them up.

During a recent triple coupon event at Harris Teeter and Kroger, I got the following items FREE:



And these items were $.35 or less.



And while I know that there are a BAZILLION blogs/websites about couponing out there, I still feel the need to do this one -- for YOU. I will share the tips I get and the websites I use and hopefully teach you to save money for your family as well.

I am reminded of a Chinese proverb that says, "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime." I am hopeful that I can help you eat for a lifetime.

And, one last thing before I close this initial post. I want to share with you the meaning behind the blog title - Isaiah 55:1-2. While on the surface it appears to be about food (free food, nonetheless!!), it is certainly about the plan of salvation that God has for each of our lives. The NIV version of these verses are my favorite:

1 "Come, all you who are thirsty, come to the waters; and you who have no money, come, buy and eat! Come, buy wine and milk without money and without cost.
2 Why spend money on what is not bread, and your labor on what does not satisfy? Listen, listen to me, and eat what is good, and your soul will delight in the richest of fare."

Isaiah 55:1-2 reminds us that food and drink alone will satisfy our human bodies, but will never satisfy our souls. Coupons and feeding your family are certainly something I feel certain that God approves of, but He is more interested in the care of your soul.

May this site bless you and your family and the principles bless you as much as they have our family.

1 comment:

  1. I was downtown today and thought I will see if this H*arris T*etter coupon thing really works. So me and 3 kids went in and got the card, and with coupons in hand we set out. I bought things that I only had coupon for and we use. Purchase price was $41.57. OOP was only.....$16.xx. roughly $1 per item. Not bad when everything was name brand and regular price was usually over $3. I was so happy. Thanks for the encouragement, keep it up. Nova

    ReplyDelete